NEW HOME PAGE FOR ALL OF SEAMUS A's CREATIVE PROJECTS - aRoomForImprovement.com

19 October 2009

Disassemble / Reassemble Project

Last week, we recieved a brief for a four week project where we need to select an object, image or process to disassemble and reassemble by formal means, focusing on the tangible rather than the personal.

During the first week, we have been asked to select our object of focus and present a short statement of intent along with some the research and work we've done so far.
Below is a slideshow of some of the work I've been doing with my chosen object, which is Genesis 11:7, as well as the proposal itself. I've ommited my research images since they are all under copyright.

"Having first considered taking the theorised strings of theoretical physics' String Theory as the object of focus for this project, further thought led me to look at the idea of disassembling God as an idea/object. This being an enourmous undertaking, I narrowed my view of God as object to simply taking the name of God as the object. Given the belief of certain Jewish mystics that the name of God is, in fact, the entire text of the Koran, practicality eventually led me to take a single line from the book of Genesis as my object for disassembly and reassembly during the coming weeks. This line is Genesis 11 – 7

"Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

To the end of meeting the brief for this project, I have undertaken to familiarise myself with the Hebrew characters that represent the original form of this line of text as well as the context in which it occurs in the book (it is a passage related to the story of the Tower of Babel – more or less the final part of the creation myth of Judaism, Islam and Christianity).

In the coming week, I will continue to break down the text, not only in caligraphy form, as I have been doing, but also using audio and video to examine the text as annunciated. In the final two weeks of the project, I envisage a reassembly and reinterpretation of the text moving from the written word to a finished piece in video and audio."



Below is a link to stream or download (right click, save target as) a quick experiment in breaking up the individual sounds of the passage as read phonetically by the PDF "read aloud" function on Adobe Acrobat Reader and remixing them into beats and noises.
11 7 PDF Beats.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment