NEW HOME PAGE FOR ALL OF SEAMUS A's CREATIVE PROJECTS - aRoomForImprovement.com

13 September 2009

Been some time...

...since I last updated here. I've been in the country... no interweb down the country, so sir. Perhaps somewhere in the back of my head I was pondering on making the previous post on this blog the last one... it having been the forty second.

On the 25th, Icarus Crane put on a little exhibition in the Project Space in Unit H at the Market Studios here in Dublin. It went well... I think.
The guys at Market Studios were most accommodating... even to the point where I'm confident that all the drawings I left rolled up in an office beside the space are most likely still there and doing just fine.

Enough people came along to have a look so that I didn't feel like a loony putting this show on and for this I am very thankful. Nice one everybody! A few other people graciously apologised for not coming because of various commitments and what not so I feel like there is some sort of interest for my work out there. I'll keep doing it so.

Here are some photos from the show taken by Paul Coffey who is in my class at IADT and also a fine photographer and graphic designer and god-knows-what-else-he's-got-up-his-sleeve in his own right. Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera on any of the days of the show or ask anyone to document the performance on the night in any way, so below Paul's shots is a slide show of grainy video stills of the drawings. Although it may not appear obvious from these photos.. there WERE other people there, I swear!

I have to thank in particular Oliver Kirwan, all round creative type and very nice guy, for his lending me of equipment and general helpfulness throughout the setting up and such... and for always helping me keep my head out of the clouds with his constantly disparaging remarks. It's appreciated.

I will be making the full audio sound set as performed on the night available here... um... tomorrow?





It feels like I've learned a lot during the journey toward this show and the putting on of the show itself but too much time has passed now for me to be bothered writing down such thought. I tell you what... as I use the knowledge gained, I'll try to make note of it here.



A few weeks after this exhibition, at 03:42, on the 9th of September, Icarus Crane died tragically... swallowed up by the sea.

During his last days, Icarus wrote a cycle of poetry, seeming to predict his demise and took a series of photos, experimenting with a battered old SLR camera, borrowed from his father Daedalus Crane.

As his benefactor and archivist, I will endeavour to present these poems and photos in performance venues over the coming months as well as continuing to develop the works left unfinished by Icarus brief existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment